Tuesday 22 January 2013

Learning in the Clinical Environment - review

As I mark some essays on learning in clinical learning by undergraduates, it seems the focus tends too much on medicine and what we have taught ourselves as doctors. I think this is wrong. I think doctors have a lot to learn from exeryone else about medicine, leadership, and learning.

As in the previous posts, I am sure you can tell I am a fan of TED and various people suggesting how to do various things.

I like the talk on procrastion: that teaches you to chunk your learning. For example, before a big exam, I remember how many of us would have a timetable of 2 weeks, say Monday, Tuesday for CVS, Wednesday for RS,GI,  Thursday - GI, Urology,  Friday - Haematology, Rheumatology, Oncology.... etc...

And this would lead up to the exam. Although the timetables were not that strict, it made studying the whole of medicine in 2 weeks achievable.

I think reflective learning, which is what we keep talking about is important. But what does this mean? I will post this next and how I would propose Reflective Repetitive Learning. We are all children after all, and repetition or rote learning is how we learn. Because we are higher monkeys/apes (sorry creationists), we have minds that allow variation to develop in our thinking and we can vary each scenario slightly differently, so that we 'experience' a whole new encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment