Sunday 25 November 2012

My views on negative marking MCQ exams

This should be obvious - you would think...

Being a man, I chose to answer all questions and deal with the consequences later.

In negative marking best of five MCQ exams, this has probably not proven the best technique in terms of mark scoring. My worst scores were from taking on questions I had a 1 in 4 or 5 chance of knowing, and the MCQ I was doing had a 0.25 mark penalty per wrong question.

One should have known that with this maths, that I shouldn't have risked a 1 in 5 chance with a 0.25 mark deduction.

I recently got to try out saying 'i don't know' and it seems that that paid off.

I wonder what your techniques might be?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a first year PCMD student and have only done one AMK - i was told to use the "if you can narrow it down to three, then guess" technique which worked pretty well first time around but 2nd AMK is today. Keep up the posts on advice about AMK for younger students! Would the USMLE questions be a good practice for 1st years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, the USMLE Step 2 Questions are an amazing resource for all Medical exams. I will do a post on this soon. Please tell your friends about the website. I am glad you are enjoying it.
    First guess is supposed to be a good technique. I like the narrow it down to three and guess idea. Thanks! I scored 84% in 2012 at the PCMD tutors sitting, but the highest score was 92% by Dr Rains!

    ReplyDelete